Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Screw ups and Oopsies

Ok, what have I made since last time? One pot spaghetti. I made it on Sunday and dear Lord, who do these people think they're feeding? I've had 7 meals out of this (breakfast sometimes and lunches, and 2 dinners) and there is still another 2 meals left over. It was easy to make. http://pinterest.com/pin/96686723222645310/

I also made crock pot cube steak. http://pinterest.com/pin/96686723222646376/ This will NOT be repeated in our house. The steaks all fell apart, so it made a chinky soup, basically. I made some elbow mac and dumped it in. That soaked up a lot of the liquid, and it tasted good enough to eat, but not something we'd eat again. In fact, Pat ate a plate of it and then opted for a bowl of cereal. He didn't like it. I didn't like it enough to eat it again, so we dumped it. I hate dumping food,. It is such a waste of time, money and resources, but if no one was going to eat it, then why keep it. Still, seeing that money thrown out was tough.

And speaking of things that didn't quite go as planned, I screwed up. I had taken my monthly calendar of meals to school with me, and left it there. I had no idea what I should be pulling out of the freezer for dinner tonight. But, since I had everything I need to cook anything on that menu, I grabbed the bag for oven fajitas. http://pinterest.com/pin/96686723222660713/

I had the foresight to chop the veggies and cut the chicken into strips before I froze it, so I just pulled the bag and put it in the fridge last night. This morning, I mixed the spices in a small container, so everything was ready to go. They turned out pretty good, and Nathaniel even ate some (without peppers or onions, of course). Veronica had her first firsthand experience with Mexican food because she tried a bit of the chicken. She kept grabbing for my plate after that first bite! The veggies were not as crisp as they are when you use a skillet or grill, but it had some good flavors.

Because I screwed up and took things out of order, tomorrow will be a regular pork stir fry with rice and Friday is Spaghetti and garlic bread. I think I have some more pinterest recipes coming up, and I will see how those turn out too. I did have to spend a little bit of money today, because I wanted some cheese for my fajitas, but other than that, we are still well below $200 for the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment