Friday, March 16, 2012

24 weeks and viable

Today marks an incredible milestone in the pregnancy- viability day. That means if, God forbid, Veronica was to be born any time now, she would more than likely survive. I don't want to test that theory in any way, but it is a comfort to know this. And, in 13 short weeks, she will be full term. That's a day that seems so far away but right around the corner at the same time. Beleive me when I say I know how truly blessed I am. I get to feel her kick me and jump around in there all day and night. Even though it sometimes causes me pain, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am the luckiest person in the world.

So here's what's supposed to be going on inside this week, except I don't have to do the glucose tolerance test. No need to when I am already intolerant!

Drink up! Around 24 weeks, your doctor will order a Glucose Tolerance Test -- one of the more memorable prenatal tests -- to see if you’re at risk for gestational diabetes. Basically, the test is designed to see how your body processes sugar, so you’ll be asked to drink a cup of a sweet drink called Glucola (which reminded us of Gatorade) and then hang out for an hour. Once the hour is up, you’ll have your blood drawn and then it will be tested to see how your body has processed the sugar. You know what’s also sweet? Those movements and kicks you’ve been feeling. They seem to get stronger every week. At week 24, baby’s progress isn’t just about internal stuff, it’s about her looks too. With pinker, more opaque skin, she’s looking more and more, well, like a baby. You, on the other hand, are probably experiencing some of the discomforts of the later months of pregnancy at week 24 -- leg cramps, backaches, swollen feet. Hang in there, mama-to-be!

your baby's the size of a grapefruit!
Your 10.5-to-11.8-inch fetus weighs about 12.7 to 20.8 ounces and every week she gets closer and closer to being ready to survive (and thrive!) in the outside world.

your baby at 24 weeks
Her see-through skin is gradually becoming more opaque.
And it's got a new pink glow, thanks to the small capillaries that have recently formed.

No comments:

Post a Comment