Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Fetal Echocardiogram

So today we went to UIC for the baby's fetal echocardiogram. (An ultrasound of her heart to make sure it's developing properly.) Once again, they didn't have/couldn't find my referral. Thankfully I now carry it with me.

Anyway, my appointment was for 8:45 this morning. I was called back at 8:40 and then sat in the room until 9:23, when the doctor finally came in. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate going to UIC? So I spent the required 3 minutes with her, most of it her saying that no one told her I was there, and that the ultrasound techs had been looking for me, and then we were done.

So on we went to get the ultrasound. Baby girl was very uncooperative, which didn't surprise me one bit. She was quite active from 8:45 to 9:30, but I guess she got tired of waiting too. After some jiggling and gentle prodding, though, the tech was able to get all the measurements she needed. I waited for a few minutes for the pediatric cardiologist to look at the pictures. And then he came in the room.

"Her heart is perfect!" was all I heard. I started crying. He explained why they did the tests, as if I didn't already know, and I said "I know, I had one when I was pregnant with my son." Then he got on me about taking care of my diabetes when I wasn't pregnant and told me to lose weight. Because, yeah, it's just that easy.

He recommended South Beach for me. Wait, what? Weren't you here just to tell me that my baby girl's heart is fine? Yeah, so that was a fun lecture. I tried to explain to him that my primary doc doesn't really give a shit, because after 9 months of me telling her that my medication wasn't working she still wanteed to try the same thing.

I think after the baby is born, I will be looking for a new doctor. The cardiologist pretty much convinced me of that.

But all in all, her heart is great and I am thrilled. Pat was quite happy too, even though he couldn't go with. And I made it to work in time... which is amazing considering that I wasted 45 minutes in the office.

Have I mentioned how much I hate going there? I thought maybe I had...

No comments:

Post a Comment