Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Perfect Day

Today was just a perfect day. Nathaniel and I were fortunate enough to go to Brookfield Zoo today. The weather was incredible! It was about 78 degrees and very little humidity.

We got there around ten am (they open at 9:30) and we were able to find a parking spot relatively close to the entrance. I pulled out the stroller and got Nathaniel settled. I brought PB&J's and fruit snacks for lunch. We had a few bottles of water and a can of pop in the cooler.

When we got in, I decided to get the admission plus 3, which means admission to the zoo plus three other activities. It was a great deal, considering Nathaniel is still free, so I only had to pay for myself! I chose the motor safari (the tram), the Children's zoo (which is just a petting zoo) and the Carousel. Nathaniel has never done any of those, so I was looking forward to them.

We decided (ok, I decided) to go see the Great Bear Wilderness first. It was awesome! We got to see the polar bears up close and the grizzly was sleeping right next to the viewing glass. Nathaniel started singing Brown Bear, Brown Bear. I was jsut so proud. He knew that the point was to see the animals, and he looked everywhere for them.

He pointed our bears, birds, fish, giraffes, tigers and even a hippo. The best was when we went to see the living coast and the volunteer told him there was a shark in the water. (A small one and I can't remember what kind.) What does my son do? Da- da... da- da. Yep, he starts singing the theme from Jaws! The lady was astounded. (We used to sing it all the time when we were feeding him baby purees, and still do it now when we tickle him.) So funny!

Anyway, as the day progressed, Nathaniel decided that he wanted to walk and I was more than happy to oblige him. (Exercise in the sun= good night's sleep!) He was so well behaved. I let him decide which way he wanted to go for the most part, and when we didn't go his way he pulled for a minute, but came along with me. Not one single tantrum.

I wish I could say the same thing for the people around us. There were so many kids throwing insane tantrums. I;m not talking about 3 or 4 year old, who might be excused for being over tired. I'm talking 8 or 9 year olds. They were throwing themselves on the ground or their parents were dragging them. Nathaniel looked at them and said "time out." I thought I would pee my pants laughing.

I also recieved several ocmpliments from other parents on how well behaved Nathaniel was. I admit, I swelled with pride. He really is well behaved. He made the day perfect.

After we had walked for a while, we decided to take the tram for a bit. He was so excited, thinking it would be like the train. It was fun, and relaxing, except I couldn't take my stroller on the tram. SO we had to go all the way around to go get the stroller. But, it did help me decide what else we needed to see, and where the children's zoo was.

So after the tram, we did the children's zoo. Nathaniel liked it because it had low sinks that kids could wash their own hands in. But, I think he was equally as excited when he was brushing the goat or petting the chicken and sheep. (Or yelling "MOOOOO!" at the cows.

Now, it was getiting to be a little bit of a long day, as it was almost 1:45 and we had been walking most of the day. (I know that the day I DON'T take the stroller is the day he will want to ride in it all day.) SO we walked over the the carousel. He has never been on one and I was worried that he wouldn't like it.

I couldn't have been more wrong! He loved it! He rode on the elephant and before the ride even started, he was saying "GO! GO! GO!" It was just awesome.

We left after that, with no whining or crying about toys. (I'm sure that at some point in his life, we will have this problem, as I know he can throw wicked fits.) But he wasn't one of those kids who were riding in the stroller, feet dragging because they're too big for the thing, while their mom carries a baby in her arms.

In the end, we were able to see the entire zoo, and we were there for about 4 1/2 hours. My well behaved little boy made my day so happy and wonderful. He walked with me for about 2 1/2 of those hours, and slept the half hour it took to get home. (yeah, I know.. a half hour. He'll be tired tonight!)

The only thing that could have made it better was if Pat was with. Maybe for Boo! at the Zoo in October.

1 comment:

  1. That is sooo awesome, i was tempted to join you with my 3 but we have no money this week and niether did thier parents. :( I will probally be taking them before they go back to school.

    ReplyDelete