Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas Music (and Being Sappy)

So it's no surprise to anyone that knows me- I love Christmas. The sighs, the sounds, the food, the happiness (usually). I love to be generous whenever I can at Christmas. I always give too much. I just can't help myself!

But this year is different. Well, actually, this year is a lot like Christmas three years ago, when I was pregnant with Nathaniel. But I am getting off track here.

I was on my way home from the doctor's office today, with Nathaniel in the car with me. I was listening to 93.9 on the radio. They had some beraking news to report... not in and of itself something to remember, and given that it was 5 pm, it was newstime. And then they said it. They were switching on "the Christmas Lite!" I was so excited that I got to hear it.

Then I listened to what the first song was. My song for Christmas. When I was pregnant with Nathaniel, every time I heard "All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey (of whom I am NOT a fan) I would sing that all I wanted for Christmas was you (him) to be healthy. And he was born healthy and still is healthy and I am blessed.

For the past week, they have been playing some Christmas music here and there, but I've only heard three songs. Holly Jolly Christmas, Michael Buble's version of All I want for Christmas, and Mariah Carey's. Now, Holly Jolly means nothing to me, but when I was on my way to the doctors office I was scared and asked for a sign. I heard the song. I sang it to my tummy.

And today, on my way home from the doctor (after switching to insulin because it's the best thing and the safest for the baby) I got to hear it again. And I sang it to Nathaniel and my tummy. The simple pleasure in that moment made me cry so hard I nearly had to pull over. I couldn't see through the tears.

I know that people who read this will think I am an idiot, or at the very least a sap, but I have to say that God is always making appearances. We just have to be open to seeing (hearing) the signs of his love, guidance, and reassurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment