Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Happiest Day of My Life

Nathaniel is 2 years old today. Gone is that little baby. He has been replaced by the best little boy there ever was. A helpful and polite boy who speaks so well. He uses great sentence structure and counts to 11. I am so very proud of him and everything he does. This is his birth story, as written 2 years ago. (scary pictures in here, but no actual birth pics, don't worry!) This is long.

Our (long) birth story


I went to the hospital on Thursday, the 25th of June and did the bloodwork and pre-admission testing for the C-section, just in case he flipped back. On Friday, the 26th, I had my regualr appointment for NST and BPP. He passed both, which was unusual. Normally, he only passes the BPP. But, I left that doctor's appointment knowing that it was only 10 days until I got to meet him, and that he was doing really well inside.

On Saturday, the 27th, I had a normal day. I know that he was moving a lot all morning, and I was finishing up a few loads of laundry and just enjoying the day. But, as the day went on, I noticed that I hadn't felt him move. I tried all my usual tricks. I ate ice cream, played the seahorse on my belly, laid on each side, drank ice cold water. Nothing worked. I obvioulsy started to get worried. I jumped in the shower (which really was a necessity) and texted Pat the second I got out that I wanted him to come home because I wanted to go to the hospital. He was at work, but man, did he call back quick! He said that he was on his way. So, while I waited for him, I finished packing my bag, just in case they kept me, and went downstairs and sat in the car. I was crying by this point, worrying that I had waited too long. He got to the house and as he was trying to open the door, I yelled out the window that I was in the car already, and he practically jumped into the car and off we went. It was a very tense ride for both of us. As we got closer to the hospital, I thought I felt him move, but I wasn't sure. Pat was talking to him, telling him about the area that we were in was where he went to school. Instead of taking us an hour to get to the hospital, it took 35 minutes.

We got to the Emergency Room and I told the security guard that I hadn't felt the baby move in a few hours, and that I wanted to be checked out. He asked how many weeks I was and when I told him 38, he turned to the person in charge of the ER and said "We've got an OB." Pat and I cracked up a a little, because it was exactly what our childbirth educator said would happen. I filled out a few forms in a blur, and then was wheeled up to L&D. When we got there, I explained to the nurse that it had been hours since I felt the baby move, and that I was really worried, expecially because of the diabetes. (Higher stillbirth rates.) She hooked me up to the NST machine in the outpatient testing room. She found his heartbeat right away, and that started me off crying, nearly hysterically with relief. Then she asked me all kinds of questions (which we were told would happen) about my medical history and if there was any abuse in the house. After that was over, Pat was allowed to come in. When he heard the heartbeat, the relief on his face was visible. I cried some more. The nurse kept me on the machine for about an hour, telling me that he was moving and doing ok, but not as well as they woulod have liked, so I was sent for another BPP, but they had to wait for a tech to come in. It was Saturday night, after all.

So we went down for the BPP around 7:45, and he had great muscle tone, heartrate, and breathing. But he would not move. The tech tried jiggling my belly, cramming the wand through my crotch (or so it felt) and had me lay on both sides. He refused to move, so we got a 6 out of 8. (Mind you, the day before he had another perfect 8.) We were sent back upstairs, and hooked back up to the NST machine, while they called the doctor with the results. I had no idea who was on call that weekend, but I was praying it wasn't Dr. JP, since she wouldn't see me during the pregnancy. I was hoping however that it would be Dr. A. It wasn't. I was most comfortable with him, but at least Dr. CB, who was on call, had seen me a few times. So she said to admit me and the nurse did an internal, to see where I was starting from. As I suspected, it was high and tight and thick. Then we were taken to a room to get started. Panic set in immediately. I was going to be a mommy and soon! I was unhooked from the machine and walked down to our room (455). When I was hooked back up to the fetal monitor, we got a suprise. I was having contractions! Labor had started on its own when she checked my cervix. This was about 9:30 at night. We finished all the admitting paperwork, and then she called the doctor again, because the meds they wanted to use to induce me were designed to do exactly what my body was doing on it's own. Dr. CB decided that I should get the Cervadil anyway, and so we did. By this time my mom had come to the hospital, and Pat left to go get his bag, the camera and the computer. We didn't have time to get them before we left.

My contractions continued and started to come faster. OK, let me be honest, they hurt like the Blazes! I called Pat and asked him to please hurry, and that's when the nurse said that my contrax were 2 to 3 minutes apart. He hadn't made it home yet, and when I told him that, he said he'd be right there and hung up. I didn't have a chance to tell him that it could still be a while. All he knew was that he was not going to miss the birth. So I called him back and told him to get what he needed and to hurry after that. Things calmed down a little after that, but I was getting hungry. The only channel that came in well and that had anything interesting had to be the food network! It didn't help the hunger.

Pat got back to the hospital around 11:30, and I was tired and still in pain. My mom was still there, of course, as she was my secondary support person. I managed the pain as long as I could and then finally asked for something. It was around 1:30 am. Now, I don't know what they gave me, but if it was a street drug, I'd make a fortune!!! I swore that everything was made out of playdoh and blue icing! It was the coolest feeling ever! I finally fell asleep for a few hours. My mom left around 3:30 am, and Pat fell asleep in the daddy chair.

At 9:00 the next morning, the doctor was ready to start the pitocin. I was given it and then an epidural right after. Darn did that hurt! The four injections that you are given to numb it are worse than anything else! I was also most terrified of the epi. More than labor and delivery itself! But, after it was in, and Pat came back, I was able to get more rest. By now I was feeling nothing but tired hunger. By 9:30, my contrax must have really kicked up (not that I felt anything) because the nurse came in and said that Dr. CB was concerned that the baby wasn't handling the labor well. They said that they would continue to monitor him, to make sure that everything was ok. By 10:30, it became apparent that he was in distress. The nurses came in and told me that Dr. CB had decided we needed to do a C-section. I asked when they were planning on doing it, and the nurse replied that she was already on her way. I was a little scared that she was already on her way, but I left it all in God's hands and prayed for the doctor to have the knowledge and skils necesary to make sure the baby was ok.

I was wheeled into the OR at 11:00 and the anestethiologist (crap, I can't spell that word- the knock out dr.) poked me shoulders to make sure I was numb. When they were happy I was feeling nothing, they started. It was 11:08 am. Dr.CB thought that Pat was already in the room when she started, and when she realized that he wasn't she sent the nurse (he was around the corner). He came in while they were cutting, I know this only because they told me that they were cutting. I felt no pressure, no tugging, nothing while it was going on. At 11:20 am, Nathaniel Patrick G. was born to two parents who cried. We weighed 6 pounds, 6 ounces and was 17 1/2 inches long. He had a full head of hair that was more blonde than brown, and blue eyes. He also had my nose. I was out of surgery by noon, and back in the regular room by 1:30, and that was when I finally got to hold him. The picture is priceless.

So, that is our birth story of how my wonderfully perfect son came into the word, with a doctor that apologized for having to perform a C-section, and a mom who cared not about that, but about the safety and well being of her child.


In the OR with Daddy:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The first time I held him: (this is the scary one)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment